Saturday, March 30, 2013

we make our plans, God directs our steps

We had such fun plans for this weekend!  My niece turned one and were were going to her birthday party.  While we were in NH, we planned to stay for a couple of days and celebrate Easter with all of my siblings and my parents.  It was going to be such a lively and laughable time!  Cousins everywhere, church together, games, food, talks, all sorts of fun.
Well, first Micah got a fever.  No big deal- he had no other symptoms and the fever was gone soon after.  Until.....he got this mysterious looking rash on his sweet little face.  Teething?  Isn't that what you blame everything on for the first couple of years?


Then Leah developed some mild cold symptoms and .....what?  A rash on her cheeks too?  And why oh why does she have a rash on her hands and feet as well?  


And now.....a fever for Andrew?  Poor little guy keeps complaining that his eyes are burning and needs me to keep refreshing a cool cloth for his head.  Well, a 103.8 fever will do that to a fella.  (It was already a rough week for him.  He was in the middle of a rowdy basketball game with Caleb using his over-the-door basketball hoop when he tried to dunk the ball over Caleb's head.  I forgot to ask if he made the shot but either way, the hoop broke and the jagged piece of plexiglass back board came down on his head/ear.  The amount of blood was frightening.  He was holding onto the base of his neck and saying, "I broke it!  I broke it!"  I was pretty scared and asked him what he broke.  He was in agony when he told me he broke his basketball hoop.  Poor Drew.)


A little research led me to the conclusion that the three of them have fifth disease.  Just a virus.  Should pass without major complications, but.....contagious.  And potentially dangerous for an unborn baby if its mother gets it.  (and my little sister is expecting a baby) Guess we're not going to NH for the weekend after all.  :(


When I got up this morning to make my coffee and the machine wouldn't work, it was about the one over.  Thankfully I was able to get out my old coffee maker and got my coffee after all.  I needed it!  I needed my time with the Lord too.  Lots of prayer.

I tried to look for the good in our time at home.  Micah has been so difficult.  It's hard to know what's going on physically because he shows some signs of illness but he can't talk so we are left to guess.  One good thing was the beautiful warm weather today.  I opened all the windows to start with!  Alissa took Micah outside for a bit and he loved it.





It was short lived though.  He turned back into a bear when he got in the house.  All he wanted was mama, mama, mama.  He held his arms up for me to hold him, bringing me his blankets.  I'd pick him up, he'd settle and when I put him down he'd cry for mama again.  I decided to use the sling.  Can you tell what he thought of that?  :) I was making oatmeal cookies in this picture.  He almost fell asleep.  He loved being in it!  It killed my back so it probably won't be an everyday thing but it helped restore some sanity to the household.


Tomorrow we celebrate Easter.  I won't be going to church.  I had forgotten all about it until Leah said to me tonight, "Mommy, remember the song we learned?  Up from the grave He arose!"  Oh yes.  I thought for sure we'd sing it at the sunrise service in NH and I wanted her to know the song.  We've been working on learning it.  I was glad for the reminder.  Glad that Jesus is alive and He is with me whether I am where I hoped to be or where I am.  Also, when I was outside today I noticed the snow here and there.  It reminded me that sometimes you need to see the winter in order to appreciate the spring.  I will  appreciate seeing my family because of having to miss them, I will appreciate health because of our 7 months of sickness, I will appreciate sleep because of the lack of it right now!

I appreciate my Savior because of my sin.  I appreciate the empty tomb because of the cross.

2 comments:

  1. this post made me sad.
    but it made me excited to remember that you live in mass, not virginia! see you soon!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry you've all been so sick...with hardly any break in between one sickness. Hopefully when the spring weather comes that will help. Missed seeing you guys. But yes, hope to see you soon when everyone is feeling better. Praying for you guys!

    ReplyDelete

random thoughts

So I've been doing a lot of thinking.  And resting.  And praying.  And reflecting. I can't believe I am a grandmother- with two mo...