Monday, December 24, 2012

joy- unspeakable joy!

It has been a very busy last couple of weeks.  Happy, but busy!

We (especially Brianna!) were excited to have Erik visit for a few days.  He is not used to the sort of commotion and chaos that our house is full of, but he was a really good sport :)  He was tackled, told silly little-kid jokes to, teased, asked to help with little ones, helped with supper and supper clean up (without being asked!), read books to Leah, and even took an anxious book worm to the library!


I have battled different emotions over the last few weeks.  Seeing Brianna with a boy that she is seriously interested in had me dealing with the emotion that goes along with a child who is almost grown-sadness mixed with happiness.  The tragedy in Newtown had me dealing with fear, anger and even grief.  School deadlines had me dealing with stress and the feeling of being rushed.  Lack of sleep for many reasons (including much sickness in the family) had me dealing with exhaustion.

This morning, I was up before the rest of the family and enjoyed some quiet time with the Lord.  I read some of the Old Testament prophecies concerning Jesus' birth.  I read through the lyrics of some old Christmas carols and had a time of prayer.  After that, I decided to go to the grocery store while it was still quiet in the house.  As I was driving, Chris Tomlin's version of Joy to the World!"  came on the radio.  That is when I realized that even among sadness, fear, stress, grief, exhaustion- one emotion was there through it all (most of the time!)
Joy, unspeakable joy
An overflowing well, no tongue can tell
Joy, unspeakable joy
Rises in my soul, never lets me go


I was so excited for the reminder.  So excited that Jesus' birth- the reason we celebrate Christmas- allows joy to be in my heart regardless of what is going on around me.  It really was a feeling of "an overflowing well...rising in my soul."  I can't say enough how thankful I am for Jesus!
I am thankful too that I can share that joy with others- especially my family!  Leah has listened to Luke 2 over and over on a recording I have of it.  As soon as she hears that Mary is pondering all these things in her heart she asks to listen to it again.  The world can have Santa, the Elf, all the jingle bells they want.  That might make them smile, but it won't give joy.  It might motivate my child to behave for a couple of weeks, but it won't change that child's heart and give them hope for their future.  You can have that- but what I want is Jesus!


No comments:

Post a Comment

random thoughts

So I've been doing a lot of thinking.  And resting.  And praying.  And reflecting. I can't believe I am a grandmother- with two mo...