Tuesday, September 3, 2013

fear

Current Events has been one aspect of Alissa's schooling this year.  Yesterday she found an article that was one of the most troubling reports Matt and I have ever heard.  Some sins that our society approves of (and laws that protect those sins) apart from the Bible almost seem harmless- maybe even gray areas to those who don't know God's standard of holiness.  What we read about yesterday was evidence of complete depravity and do I dare say hopelessness?  Sin that seems like a lack of brain, common sense, logic, humanity....  It's hard for me to understand that any adult would pass a law like the one we read about.  I could maybe understand a young child who has no knowledge of science or one who lacks judgement completely....  What is happening?  What is going on in our world???  My immediate reaction was not good.  I wanted to quit.  I felt like our ministry to the kids in the city was completely hopeless.  No good can come out of this country, no one will ever change, the power of the Gospel is not enough for these sinful and wicked people.

I am always encouraging my girls to look ahead to their future as wives and mothers.  I tell them what a blessing it is to be a mom and have lots of kids.  I had actually decided on a Christmas present for Leah- a kit that had all the materials for her and I to make dolls that represented a family.  It had enough in it to make a mom, a dad, 5 children, and a baby.  I changed my mind.  My fear was controlling me.  I am afraid for my own children- how could I want them to have their own?  Do we have a chance in this world that I believe God has given over to the lusts of its heart? (Romans 1:21-32) Are we, as God's children, going to be allowed to live freely for Him, stand up for truth, read our Bibles, go to church?  Fear had a tight grip on me.

This morning I read parts of John 14-17.

14:1 Let not your heart be troubled

14:27 Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives, do I give to you. Let not your heart be trouble, nor let it be fearful.

15:4 Abide in Me...

15:11 These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full.

16:33  These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace.  In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world.

17:15, 17 (Jesus is praying) I do not ask You to take them out of the world, but to keep them from the evil one....Sanctify them in the truth; Your word is truth.

We are in the middle of a battle.  A spiritual battle that is getting more intense as the end is getting closer. Now is not the time for me to quit.  On Sunday our family watched (for the millionth time!) the Louie Giglio video Indescribable. I love the perspective of the size and control of God.  What's going on in our world is not a surprise to Him or out of His sovereign control.  My favorite part of the video (one of my favorite parts) was this picture taken by the Hubble telescope.  It shows a structure in the Core of the Whirlpool Galaxy.



Whatever this "X structure" is, as it is called by scientists, it is a reminder to me that Jesus is called "the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world".  Nothing is unknown to Him or out of His power. He chose to have me and my family born into this world at this time and in this place (Acts 17:26). He ahs given me and my family a job to do.

I won't quit.

I will trust Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment

random thoughts

So I've been doing a lot of thinking.  And resting.  And praying.  And reflecting. I can't believe I am a grandmother- with two mo...