Saturday, July 20, 2013

joy and peace in believing

Feeling like I was losing hope, I was prompted to this verse: 

Romans 15:13 Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that you will abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

I've read that verse, prayed that verse, and even memorized that verse many times before.  For some reason, today was the first time I ever noticed that it wasn't a prayer for joy and peace, it was a prayer for joy and peace in believing.  

Hope goes hand in hand with believing.  Not just believing that I will get what I hope for, but believing in the God of hope, that He will keep His promises, and that He is good and trustworthy.

I found this old poem written by John Newton.  I'm not usually one who enjoys poetry, but this struck a nerve this morning:


 By John Newton
1. Sometimes a light surprises
       The Christian while he sings;
It is the Lord who rises
       With healing in his wings:
When comforts are declining,
       He grants the soul again
A season of clear shining,
       To cheer it after rain.
2. In holy contemplation,
       We sweetly then pursue
The theme of God's salvation,
       And find it ever new:
Set free from present sorrow,
       We cheerfully can say,
E'en let th' unknown to-morrow
       Bring with it what it may.
3. It can bring with it nothing 
       But he will bear us through;
Who gives the lilies clothing,
       Will clothe his people too:
Beneath the spreading heavens,
       No creature but is fed;
And he who feeds the ravens,
       Will give his children bread.
4. Though vine nor fig-tree neither
       Their wonted fruit shall bear,
Though all the field should wither,
       Nor flocks nor herds be there:
Yet God the same abiding,
       His praise shall tune my voice;
For while in him confiding,
       I cannot but rejoice.



I believe that I can learn a lot from the faith of a child.  She trusts, she hopes, she believes.  Why don't I?

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Corrie Ten Boom's words: "Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to an unknown God." Hang in there, my friend. God is always working for His glory and your good! He is up to something beautiful in your life!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this!! I remember singing that poem (song) at bbc. Adorable picture of Leah!!!

    ReplyDelete

random thoughts

So I've been doing a lot of thinking.  And resting.  And praying.  And reflecting. I can't believe I am a grandmother- with two mo...